I have a long history of resistance when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle. It’s not that I don’t know how important it is. Or that I don’t want to be healthy. It’s just… cake. cookies. candy. Sooo yummy. I just don’t want to give up the things that bring me the most joy.
I’ve found over the years that it doesn’t take as much as I thought to maintain a healthy lifestyle. In as little as 10 minutes a day you can make giant leaps towards being healthier. And, although you must follow through with certain behaviors when you decide to live a healthier lifestyle, as with most things in life the root of successfully making this shift rests inside your mind.
What you think and what you believe will determine how well you’ll follow through and apply the paradigm of a healthy lifestyle to your busy mom days.
And while I still find myself making excuses from time to time, I’ve made living healthier a priority for me… and for my family. It’s not easy, but it can be done – us busy moms can be healthier, and set great examples of healthy living for our children.
Kick off your healthy lifestyle at Walmart’s Biggest Health Fair on October 10th with free health screenings, health insurance education, product demonstrations, and gift bags – at a Walmart store near you. Click here to learn more.
Here are 10 healthy lifestyle mindset shifts for busy moms:
1. Get into the healthy lifestyle mindset by recognizing your prior life successes.
Take some time to reflect on what you’ve been successful at in the past. Then, use those prior life successes to ignite your passion to live a healthier lifestyle.
* Maybe you’re proud of the fact you worked yourself through college.
* Perhaps you’re known as the co-worker to go to when seeking work knowledge.
* Maybe you’re a single mom who’s making it happen all on her own.
* You can use these past successes to help motivate you in the present!
2. Get into the healthy lifestyle mindset by considering what’s good and positive about your life right now.
Perhaps you live in a lovely apartment located just where you want to be. Maybe you’re in a great relationship and you’re optimistic about how it’s progressing.
* When you embrace the enrichment of your life, you’ll be more motivated to strive for good health.
3. Get into the healthy lifestyle mindset by thinking about the connections between a healthy lifestyle and a happy life.
For example, reflect on how great you feel physically and emotionally when you eat a good breakfast. Also, take notice of how well you can relax and sleep when you skip that heavy snack in the evening.
* When you recognize the intimate relationship between your daily lifestyle choices and your emotions, you’ll be more focused on taking steps to live well.
4. Get into the healthy lifestyle mindset by renewing your commitment to your own health each day.
Determine what you really want for yourself and your future.
* What kind of lifestyle do you desire? A life where you sit in front of the television all evening and most weekends or one where you’re active, trying new physical activities all the time, and discovering adventure?
5. Get into the healthy lifestyle mindset by making it a personal goal to become physically and emotionally stronger.
When you have physical strength, emotional strength isn’t far behind.
* Vow to strengthen your core and get it into tip-top shape.
* Tap into your courage to follow your path to a healthy lifestyle.
6. Get into the healthy lifestyle mindset by realizing that you can eat the flavors and foods you want in moderation.
Use positive, optimistic thinking regarding nutrition. Avoid taking the approach that you must deny yourself of the tastes you love.
* Instead, say that there’s nothing you can’t have as long as you limit the portions. And then remind yourself of all the healthy good food you can have like juicy fruits, savory vegetables, and high protein snacks.
7. Get into the healthy lifestyle mindset by taking it one day at a time.
Living your life one day at a time keeps things simple. Say to yourself, “Just for today, I will eat fresh and healthy foods and I will exercise.” Recognize that although tomorrow is another day, for now, you’ll stay on the path you’ve chosen for increased vigor and vitality.
8. Get into the healthy lifestyle mindset by remainging emotionally connected with yourself – live life consciously.
When you live life consciously, you recognize the power you hold in every decision. Pull from your energy to make positive choices from that power.
* You’ll likely experience feelings of exhilaration and conscientiousness in your efforts!
9. Get into the healthy lifestyle mindset by having faith and confidence in yourself.
Get in touch with your self-confidence to take a clearer path toward vitality and longevity. Ponder these aspects of you. Re-discover your fearlessness.
10. Get into the healthy lifestyle mindset by being consistent.
The only way to create healthier habits is to consistently make the choice to frame your mindset, take action, and follow through. This is the most important part because (as with everything in life) without consistency, you won’t see results.
When you apply these strategies, you’ll experience the sweet joy that comes with living a healthy lifestyle. Go ahead – you know you can do it!
Ready to get started on your journey to healthier living? Walmart is with you all the way, from helping you save money on medications to offering great fitness gear.
Kick off your healthy lifestyle at Walmart’s Biggest Health Fair on October 10th with free health screenings, health insurance education, product demonstrations and gift bags – at a Walmart store near you. Click here to learn more.
I want to hear from you!
What are some of the ways you keep yourself mentally on track for healthier living? Please join the discussion in the comments below.